The Graywater Advisory Commitee also decided what would constitute a "good" graywater rule:
- Conserve potable water through innovative approaches;
- Prevent and control ground and water pollution;
- Make the re-use of graywater accessible to the public;
- Streamline interaction with all public agencies;
- Educate the regulatory bodies and public about re-use of graywater;
- Provide clear guidelines/rules for installing and maintaining graywater systems; and
- Protect environmental and public health.