A non-partisan, neutral perspective supporting diversity in the color of water

Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Variant of Brownwater

New York Times photo
The Arizona Snowbowl ski resort is a beautiful place to hang out. I have not skied there, but long ago used their chairlifts to get to the top of the San Franscisco Peaks. I discussed my past experiences in this posting about the debate over using recycled wastewater for snowmaking. At the time of the posting, it did not look good for the prospect.

Fast forward to today where snowmaking at the Arizona Snowbowl makes its debut, only to find conspicious mixing of the colors of water. In this New York Times article - Discolored Slopes Mar Debut of Snow-Making Effort - we find that "....to everyone’s surprise, the snow that blasted onto the mountain was yellow....the discolored snow has meant Snowbowl has to contend with a heightened ick factor." 

Kaelan Monroe, 11, said he went skiing on New Year’s Day and that the conditions were “kind of disgusting....I’m not too worried about face-planting in the snow and getting sick...”

The colors of yellow and purple don't mix well. Introducing a new variant in the colorwheel of waters - Brownwater. 
* * * 
Watch out where the purple water flows, 
and don't you eat that yellow snow.
~Apologies and homage to Frank Zappa

1 comment:

  1. I think ski resorts have the right idea but the "ick" factor would be enough for me not to go. It is not that the snow would concern me, but when I go on vacation I don't want to see snow that's not white. However, I'm sure there is a solution. When revolution is occurring, resolution does not always arrive immediately.

    ReplyDelete